Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Moorambilla


I had the nicest weekend this weekend past. I got to visit with my folks and see a small part of their local music festival "Moorambilla".

Its a great weekend where people from all over the region gather locally to try out music workshops and hear the local regional choirs and bands.

My Dad plays in a couple of bands - the Great Wester Plains Big Band and the BJ's Dance Band. The city folk seem to love the dance band. Apparantly its not something they come across in the big smoke.

The Big Band was the main feature at the Caberet on the Saturday evening so Mum and I went hear Dad play 1st Tenor Sax. The picture shows the band - they have a couple of cool singers and you can see just a small portion of the crowd dancing to Shake Your Tail Feather.


They held the Caberet in an old picture theatre which is currently privately owned and slowly being renovated.

One of the more novel acts of the evening was Heidi Hoo the Cowgirl Hoola Hoop act. Not only was she very clever but she was hilarious as well.




This girl can keep a hoola hoop spinning on the brim of her hat!!!!!!!

3 comments:

lzilulu said...

ooooh ahhh....wasn't Moorambilla the best!! I spent Saturday over there. Traipsed through the scrub with my market stall goodies and had a blast of a day. Had a guided tour (by the owner) of the old theatre...magnificent. I went to High Tea at The Monterey and enjoyed the jazz music...perhaps your Dad was playing.....and, for me, the Market was VERY successful.....can't wait for next year...might make a whole weekend of it :)
cheers
lzilulu

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo,
Check out the photos on the Leichardt Expresso Choir's face book for more Moorambilla memories. I made the Friday afternoon launch, then was home bound for the rest of the weekend, but lots of people in town are stil talking about the wonderful time they had.
Bye
A

Anita said...

Hi Jo,

I haven't visited in quite awhile so it is nice to see you posting again. Like your flannel quilt. It always feels good to get a chance to sew and get something finished.

Anita